We will take a quick look on software testing field, how u can career in this field.
The demand of software testers and mainly experienced testers is increasing year by year. Since testing is not dependent on any technology you always have some opening in testing. Also these days big companies are not giving project if you do not have a strong QA department. But having said that you still need to be very proactive and learn new tools and technology to grow your skills. But I guess that is part of all the IT jobs.
According to my knowledge:
- Career in software testing has a great future. It is growing significantly in India. The reason being outsourcing of testing jobs is easier than development jobs to some extent.
- Testing is also a concept and not dependent on any kind of technology so as you work in more and more projects your market value will increase. It does not depend on Java, .net etc.
- In terms if growth in software testing career you can become a tester to test lead to test manager and from there to project manager. I have seen this growth path n number of time in my 14 years of testing career.
- On site opportunity: well, as a manual tester this is something limited. However, if you learn some niche skills in testing such as automation, performance testing, back end mainframe testing, then there are lots of onsite opportunities.
- Salary of a tester: there is a myth that salary of a tester is less than that of a developer and believe me people are just lying to you. There is no such thing. Based on your position and experience and of course negotiation skill that vary.
- Skill upgrade: there will be lot of skill upgrade as u will change your domain
Regarding career path, there are several levels of software testing depending on acumen. Of course there are entry-level software testing positions. But those that wish to maximize their career as a will want to not only possess expert software testing skills, but seek some programming skills to take full advantage of advanced testing tools that exist today. The Test Manager position would be the next progression leap, requiring a focus on somewhat different skill sets.
In software testing field, ur career can grow in following ways
- Test Manager path
- Test architect path
- Test Manager to Project manager
- Test Manager to Director Testing
- Test Manager to Sector head testing